Fair. Balanced. American.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What it takes to upgrade to Windows 7

A whole weekend?! The PC world is truly nuts.

The reason you typically don't read many complaints from me about processes such as Windows upgrades is not, as a few commenters here have suggested, because I'm being paid under the table by Microsoft or anyone else. It's because I've been in this business long enough to have learned to solve problems before whining about them. In fact, if readers should take anything away from Betanews, I believe it is the ethic of solving problems before whining about them. Improve software. Improve business. Improve life. There's plenty of blogs out there for whiners.

So Yahoo suggests that an upgrader actually set aside a whole weekend to do a Windows upgrade...Since when have we not had to do that? Maybe I'm just acclimated to working in the IT industry, but making all the preparations and doing all the post-setup corrections are part of the job. As many other colleagues have stated, if you want to have a more guaranteed flawless upgrade "experience," where you know for a fact that what you do will probably work right without your direct involvement, then yes, get a Mac. Speaking for myself, I like to be in charge of the hardware I use (I do build my own desktop and media PCs), so I make the required investment in time and energy. For me, it is worth the time, and I am happy with the results. [...]

To guarantee an operating system that works well with hardware, you have to guarantee the hardware; that's what Apple does. It's an honorable decision and it works for Mac users. If you want choice in this business, however, you have to work for it. No one's going to provide perfection on a platter for you.

No comments :