Fair. Balanced. American.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

And the biggest story in India right now?

Bollywood superduperstar Shah Rukh Khan's detention by US Customs and Border Protection agents at JFK. No analogy is appropriate because of the power asymmetry, but imagine someone with the same box office but a higher cool quotient than Tom Cruise being detained by immigration in Mexico City.

Driving straight to the venue of a function at the luxury Trump Taj Mahal hotel in Atlantic City in tattered jeans, a white T-shirt, a brownish coat and a muffler since his baggage was yet to arrive, Khan told the audience that "I was treated shabbily just because I happened to have Khan as my last name." [...]

"It was very unprofessional of the airport security staff of not allowing me to use my cell phone to contact my local organisers," he told the audience, who were literally taken aback by what they heard from their superstar.

A visibly shattered Khan said that "I have travelled throughout the world for my shooting and also as brand ambassador for all major products but I have never been treated like this before."

"At times I do not feel like stepping on American soil any more but I have millions of fans here who would want to see me so I will keep coming," 'King' Khan told his fans.


Shocking proof that there actually are officials who work at the Indian Consulate in New York:

Soon after the incident which sparked angry reactions back home, the actor had yesterday said he was detained and questioned at Newark airport by US immigration officials after his name matched with some of those on a common checklist. He was let off at the intervention of Indian Consulate officials.

Fortuitously enough for Khan, his detention happens to dovetail with the subjet of his upcoming film. Maybe a little too fortuitously.

No comments :